No one knows exactly how the community of Cross Trails began. However, it is evident that the name was derived from the actual crossing of two trails. The search for easy routes for transporting goods, by both land and water, determined the establishment of most early settlements.
As these trails were more extensively traveled, the crossing became a convient place to exchange messages. Since mail was transported from Elba and Geneva, Cross Trails became a logical place for the establishment of a post office. The first postmaster was appointed in January, 1878.
The site of the first post office was located on what was to become known as the Beckham Farm. The post office was moved to a site at Cripple Creek on the Kinston-Elba highway where a grist mill owned by the Miller-Brent Lumber Company was located. It was later moved to town and located in a building where Peachtree Street meets Main Street today. The building contained Joel B. Moody's barber shop and the post office was located in the rear of his shop. It was moved to its current location in 1928.
When the railroad was put through the area, the depot was built on land donated by Pink N. Hickman, a resident of Geneva, Alabama. The name of the town was changed to Boone in late 1901 or early 1902 in honor of Mrs. Pink Hickman, whose maiden name was Boone. Since the name caused some confusion with other places in the state, on September 15, 1902 the communty was renamed Pink in honor of Pink Hickman.
A Mr. Pride settled in Pink, bought property and became active in the affairs of the town. Because of a similarity of Pink with Pinckard, Alabama, about 1910 at the request of Mr. Pride and other citizens, the name was changed to Kinston on September 27, 1912.
The sudden accelerated growth of the town following the construction of the railroad in 1910 brought about the need for a system of "law and order". Mr. W. E. Fleming was appointed Municipal Judge. As more families moved into the area, there was a need for a school. A one room school was built in 1901 near the present city cemetery.
As all communities have a need for schools, religious organizations are of equal importance. The first church established was the Baptist Church. It was first known as Union Church and was accepted to the Sardis Association on October 4, 1902. In 1912, a church building was built accross the street from the cemetary. Prior to the building of the first church, services were held in the school building.
The Kinston Methodist Church was organized as a Mission Church in 1915, out of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1922, the first church was built facing the Elba Highway. In 1934, the present building was erected.
The Zion Temple Assembly of God Church, known now as the First Assembly of God, was set in order October 16, 1922. The church building was erected a short time later and the present building is the original bulding with additions and remodeling.
Excerpts from Cross Trails Remembered
Compiled and edited by Gladys Price Nevin and Frances Adams Spears.
Copyright 1998        
  1. City Park in Kinston, Donated by Hugh Weeks
    City Park in Kinston, Donated by Hugh Weeks
  2. Boone (Kinston),1900 Donated by Hugh Weeks
    Boone (Kinston),1900 Donated by Hugh Weeks
  3. Kinston Post Mark, Donated by Hugh Weeks
    Kinston Post Mark, Donated by Hugh Weeks
  4. Kinston Area 1922, Donated by Hugh Weeks
    Kinston Area 1922, Donated by Hugh Weeks
  5. Kinston Post Mark, Donated by Hugh Weeks
    Kinston Post Mark, Donated by Hugh Weeks
  6. Kinston Post Mark, Donated by Hugh Weeks
    Kinston Post Mark, Donated by Hugh Weeks